Manchester United will host Liverpool, the recently dethroned champions, at Old Trafford on Thursday in a rescheduled match until both teams are forced to watch Manchester City win the Premier League trophy. Read more about Manchester United vs. Liverpool here.
The Red Devils’ 2-1 defeat to Leicester City on Thursday night confirmed what had been predicted for months: City will be crowned champions, while Man United will battle for second place.
Meanwhile, Liverpool is still considered a long shot for a Champions League berth, but their odds of finishing in the top four have boosted after a 2-0 win over Southampton over the weekend.
Manchester United Team News
• Ole Gunnar Solskjaer should be able to field his normal starting lineup against Liverpool on Thursday after resting his entire starting XI against Leicester on Tuesday.
•Harry Maguire will miss the remainder of Manchester United’s league games and is a major doubt for the Europa League final at the end of May, potentially ruling him out of the Euros.
• Given Eric Bailly’s injury records and Solskjaer’s cautious approach to him, 180 minutes in 48 hours would come as a surprise. As a consequence, Axel Tuanzebe will be able to play.
Liverpool Team News
• Ozan Kabak has been ruled out for Liverpool once again, leaving Jurgen Klopp with a defensive crisis. Rhys Williams had a nightmare against Manchester United earlier this season. But Fabinho’s return to the backline on Thursday wouldn’t be shocking.
• If Fabinho is unavailable, James Milner or Curtis Jones are poised to fill in at center-back for the visitors.
• After skipping the 2-0 win over Southampton at the weekend, Roberto Firmino is set to replace Diogo Jota in the starting lineup in midweek.
Manchester United vs. Liverpool | Our Prediction
Our Prediction: Manchester United 1-1 Liverpool
• Manchester United has played three times in the past four days and twice in the last 48 hours. They were defeated 2-1 by Leicester on Tuesday in a bittersweet outcome that crowned Manchester City champions while also jeopardizing Liverpool’s hopes of placing in the top four.
• Jurgen Klopp will be unhappy with the Premier League’s scheduling of this rescheduled contest. This ultimately gave Leicester three points on Tuesday and ended their chances of finishing in the top four.
Man United and Liverpool have a tradition of stalemates in recent seasons. We don’t expect anything new this time around.
The beleaguered hosts will field their best lineup to maintain their second-place position. Liverpool has a lot more on the table as they attempt to find their way back into the Champions League positions. Another tie is likely between the two arch-rivals.
Manchester United vs. Liverpool | Possible starting lineup:
Manchester United – Henderson; Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof, Bailly, Shaw; Fred, McTominay; Rashford, Fernandes, Pogba; Cavani
Liverpool – Alisson; Alexander-Arnold, Phillips, Williams, Robertson; Fabinho, Thiago, Wijnaldum; Salah, Firmino, Mane
For Latest Football News & Updates Subscribe to Thefootballindia.com