Everton is seeking “full disclosure” about the Manchester City COVID-19 outbreak, which resulted in the postponement of their Premier League game on Monday.
The city said it had returned several positive tests in addition to the four on December 25 that included striker Gabriel Jesus and defender Kyle Walker just hours before the game was due to kick-off at Goodison Park.
The Premier League agreed to postpone the match, which was scheduled to be played in front of 2,000 supporters.
“Whilst Everton will always have public safety uppermost, we will be requesting full disclosure of all the information that Manchester City provided to the Premier League so the club can be clear on why this decision was taken,” Everton said in a statement on their website.
Premier League rules state that whenever a team has less than 14 players available, a game should not be postponed.
On January 3, City is scheduled to visit Chelsea and face local rivals Manchester United in the January 6 semi-final of the League Cup.
After an outbreak at Newcastle United forced the league to call off its match at Aston Villa earlier this month, Monday’s match was the second to be moved this season.
Arsenal also announced a positive test for defender Gabriel Magalhaes, who was self-isolating after coming into contact with a person who tested positive for COVID-19.