Karim Benzema’s surprise recall to the France squad for Euro 2020 has sparked interest in the European press, with L’Equipe reporting that Didier Deschamps considered the move in March.
On Wednesday morning, sports papers in both France and Spain ran front pages with the news. The news was Benzema plays association football for Real Madrid. The day after the striker’s comeback was announced after a six-year absence.
The headline on the front page of AS in Spain reads ‘Pardoned.’ It claims he will form a ‘dream assault with Kylian Mbappe and Antoine Griezmann.’ They also have a quotation from the manager. He said “the squad comes first.”
Meanwhile, in France, L’Equipe has a front-page story titled ‘The Chef’s Surprise.’ Which uses the title of a French film to describe the major shock ahead of the tournament this summer.
The paper goes on to explain Deschamps’ decision in more depth. It states that the recall was first discussed in March at an international team conference. The feeling is said to have risen in Deschamps’ mind after that. And he called a meeting with the Real Madrid forward to discuss the terms for his possible return after such a long absence.
Deschamps announced on Tuesday that he made his decision the same day. But that it had been a while in his mind.
Following his suspected role in the sex-tape extortion of former France teammate Mathieu Valbuena, the experienced striker had been sidelined by boss Deschamps since 2015.
Benzema is accused of persuading Valbuena to cooperate with blackmailers who tried to unleash an erotic video featuring him.
According to the investigators, Benzema was confronted by a childhood acquaintance. He offered to pose as an agent and persuade Valbuena to deal personally with the blackmailers. Valbuena, on the other hand, notified the authorities. When the news broke, Benzema was slammed. And Prime Minister Manuel Valls said the former Lyon star had “no room” in the national team. Until now, he had been unable to mend fences and return to his homeland.
Benzema is expected to go on trial this year from Wednesday, October 20 to Friday, October 22. He disputes any crime, and the lawsuit will also bring four other suspects to justice.
For more News & Updates on Euro 2020 Subscribe to Thefootballindia.com